You’ve probably heard of a “bucket list,” which is basically stuff you’d like to do before you, well, kick the bucket. I wanted to take a little break from book stuff before the release of FROM CHAOS BORN next Monday, and it suddenly struck me that I was curious what other folks had on their lists, and if any of those things would be ones I’d like on mine.
To be honest, my list isn’t very long at the moment, because I haven’t really paused to give it much thought. But here are a few things that I’ve got scribbled on my mental wall in crayon:
- Travel. This is sort of an open-ended one, but I have on my list visiting all the U.S. states and provinces in Canada (most of which we’ll accomplish in the RV); India; Australia; New Zealand; and, well, just about every country in Europe (especially Norway: I hope to get in on the troll hunting action there!).
- Static parachute jump. I wrote those words because that’s something I’m absolutely terrified of doing, but if I could dress up in combat fatigues and jump like the big boys and girls do, I’d suck it up and give it a try. I even have an invite from a jump school in Europe, and could write it off on my taxes for book research! Of course, that’s assuming that I survived. Talk about a hilarious YouTube…
- Hiking the Grand Canyon. We visited the Grand Canyon earlier this year, and the thought of making the hike, difficult though it may be, really took hold on me.
- Pretend like I’m a fighter pilot in a real plane. They have these places where you can fly a plane – well, actually, where someone who has a clue about flying flies the plane, and you get to hold a stick and rudder that hopefully are both disconnected – in simulated air combat against opponents. I’m sure I’d puke my guts out, but I’d sure like to give it a try!
- SCUBA diving. I don’t actually want to go out in the ocean and dive, because I’m afraid of the things swimming around out there with big pointy teeth, but I’ve always thought it would be cool to learn how. It’d almost be worth getting a swimming pool!
Okay, there are a few things. I’m sure I could think of a couple more, but I’m more curious what you have on YOUR list!